Internationally Educated Applicants (IEOT)

Please note: Effective May 1, 2018, there will be a rate increase for the SEAS process; please see memo: Notice of Change in Fees for the Seas Process
Please note: Internationally-educated occupational therapists who applied for registration with COTM prior to May 1, 2015, and whose applications are currently being processed by COTM, will have one year within which to complete their registration process under the pre-existing system, and will not be required to be assessed through the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS) which is a new assessment process.  Any current applicants who do not complete their registration within the one-year period must apply to the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO) to complete the new assessment process.                                                                                                     Applicants to COTM after April 30th, 2015 must establish Educational Eligibility through the ACOTRO Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS).  Please see: Important Notice for Internationally-Educated Applicants and these ACOTRO links: SEAS Introduction and FAQS on SEAS
Internationally educated occupational therapists wishing to practice occupational therapy in Manitoba must be registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba before beginning any type of occupational therapy practice.

To apply to COTM, you must complete the COTM Application for Registration and submit documents to show that you meet the registration requirements.

Use the Application Guide for Internationally Educated Applicants, the information supplied in this section of the website and documents from the lists on the right that are applicable to you. You can send the documents you need for registration in 3 phases.

  • Phase 1 establishes your academic eligibility. Before you apply to COTM, you must complete the SEAS process and be able to provide COTM with a copy of your SEAS disposition report. You can do this long before your registration in Manitoba.
  • Phase 2 establishes your professional eligibility. You can do this 3 months or less before registering.
  • Phase 3 establishes your employment eligibility. This is the last step in the registration process. You can do this when you have an employment offer in Manitoba. For this last phase, you must also show proof of malpractice insurance coverage and send any other needed documentation. If it takes longer than 3 months to get an employment offer, you may need to update some of your professional information.

Before you register with COTM, you should contact all the other organizations that will need your original documents. Find out which documents they need and what the fees are. That way you can ask your sources to send original documents to each organization. Some of the organizations that may need your documents are: the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (to write the CAOT exam), World Education Services (to authenticate and review your education documents), and Immigration Canada.